One of my hens attacked my chick!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CharterChick, Aug 8, 2014.

1. CharterChick

CharterChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2014
    Aberdeen, WA
    My Coop
    Henny Penny is an evil witch! I was going to post pictures but as I was writing this my little pullet died :( I want revenge on Henny Penny! But is there another way to get her to behave? She charged at a chick before and I put her in timeout in a kennel. Should I just eat her? Btw I'm totally ok with that she was given to me not raised by me.... But she's a good layer :(

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Chickens aren't people or even dogs for that matter. An established flock sees outsiders as a threat to the well being of the flock. That includes chicks unless the chick was hatched and raised by a flock member that will guard them.
    Don't put young birds with an established flock of mature birds. Recipe for disaster. If she didn't do it, one of the others would.

3. CharterChick

Jul 21, 2014
    Aberdeen, WA
    My Coop
    They've all been together for 2 weeks now. So to me it seemed pretty random. But I'll build a coop just for the littles today :(

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Having a second place to keep chickens will serve you well over the years for quarantining injured, sick and new birds.

5. CharterChick

Jul 21, 2014
    Aberdeen, WA
    My Coop
    I have a spot in the garage for the sick/injured I have a total of 3 tractor coops outside as well. This coop only has 3 chickens in it I was hoping to add more bc it's my largest tractor coop maybe I'll make a small one for the 3 loners and let the littles have the big one.... Idk we will see what the new one looks like. :) I never use plans so it could be interesting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by