One of my hens died....any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by diggerduck, Jun 2, 2011.

1. diggerduck

diggerduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Marion, IL.
    It started with her just standing in one spot not moving around at all. I reached in and picked her up and still no reaction. I moved her to the solitary cage and set her up for what I thought would be an extended stay. WRONG! About 10 minutes later she would turn her head slowly all the way to one side, then whip it back to facing front. I was thinking something neurological just by the head movement.. Five minutes later she was on her side flapping like something was after her, that lasted for about a minute. As I was opening the cage to pull a mercy killing she stopped all motion and that was it. Now some stats: Temp at the time, 80 degrees, aprox 10am, I had wormed them with Wyzene two days ago. Purina Game Bird Startera. All other birds in the pen are acting fine and now I take the wait and see approach. A very smart person said maybe something along the lines of heat stroke, but I wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue. Thanks for your time, Steve.

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    It does sound like heat stroke, or just a stroke in general. Birds are so finiky at times. I had a parakeet that died in my hand after suffering a stroke, showed the same symptoms as you are describing.

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Steve Could She Have Suffered A Boink Injury? The Behvaior You Describe Sounds Alot Like Siezure Activity Which Would Come About And Get Worse As The Brain Bleeding Progressed From A Head Injury... It Would Also Be An Explaination For The Sudden Onset And Rapid Progress

4. Hoss1975

Hoss1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    north central Indiana
    You said you wormed them 2 days ago,sometimes they have so many worms they get plugged up.Not sure just an idea.

5. diggerduck

diggerduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Marion, IL.
    Wow JJ.....kinda pathetic, I'm a nurse and didn't pick up on the possibility of trauma....[​IMG]
    Both the stroke and trauma make a lot of sense, the worming may have played a part. Thanks again for the suggestions. For the main reason I never work on family, when they are close to your heart you make mistakes. Never thought trauma.....

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:PARAMEDICS DONT RECOGNIZE FAMILY [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by