One of my hens died in the night!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pimentel, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Pimentel

Pimentel New Egg

Mar 15, 2016
    Northern CA, East Bay
    First time having hens, second time ever posting. Woke up this morning and one of my lovely sweet black Autrolorp hens had died in the night! Poor thing!

My bf found her and told me she froze to death. I doubt this is the case. It was very cold for my part of California, 30 degrees F, which is about the absolute coldest it ever gets here. She was in the coop with her other 5 sisters just outside the nesting box. She was stiff from rigor mortis but I really don't think she froze, no signs of frostbite and her comb was red .Also, it's been 30 degrees overnight a few times and fairly often is 32 and they've been fine! (He's always wanted to give them a heater which I think is a fire danger and messes with them growing thicker down to naturally be insulated. They all snuggle up in their coop at night and seem quite warm, although one always is slightly on the outskirts. Perhaps I'm wrong but that's part of why I chose this breed for the 30 degree F to 110 degree yearly temp shifts we experience.)

All the hens free range during the day if it's not rainy. They are about 9 months old. Good little hens! I immediately wondered if we could eat her. My bf says no way because she was lying dead for probably 8 hours before we found her. I'm more concerned if she got into something in the yard? I'll be checking the yard thoroughly before letting my other hens out to free range again.

What do you experienced people think? Did she freeze to death? Get into something in the yard? Was it just a random congenital defect? Can I eat her?

Thanks so much!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She did not freeze to death, I would not eat her. Congenital defect ? Very possibly.

3. Pimentel

Pimentel New Egg

Mar 15, 2016
    Northern CA, East Bay
    Thank you! That's what I was thinking too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by