1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

one of my hens eggs cracked..It's day 16..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by willkatdawson, Mar 19, 2009.

1. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    My BO hen is sitting on 4 BR eggs. I candled them Monday and saw veins in all then I took her out to the bathroom yesterday and noticed one has a crack in it. It look like about the size of a piece of corn and the shape of a stop sign. The inner membrane looks intact. What should I do?

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I have heard you can use melted candle wax to seal the crack with . I am shure someone who knows more will answer soon.

3. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    do you think it's been too long to try that? Is the chick damaged already?

4. HennyPennies2007

HennyPennies2007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    dang... wish I could help ya... I had 2 eggs get smashed at 15 days when a thermometer blew off the wall while the hen was out doing her daily stuff. How random is that? Mine were cracked and bleeding. I cried and felt like crud... best wishes...[​IMG]

5. Butterball

Butterball Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2008
    I may be a bit late, but....I have (multiple times) used candle wax and actually most of the time melted crayon. It works wonders! I've never had it fail! I'm not sure how long your egg was cracked, but it can't hurt to try!

6. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    If you have an incubator use it, i gave a cracked egg back to a broody and she disgarded it, so she killed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by