1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

one of my hens got sick, what I can do for it?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hixzc, Oct 6, 2016.

1. hixzc

hixzc New Egg

Oct 6, 2016
    my three and half year old ,free range chicken has been sick about 5 days, don't eat has diarrhea, 80% of what she ate is bird food such as sunflower seeds, 20% is bread and noodles.

please help me to save her!
    Thanks

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Is that what you have gave her whole life?

3. runt325

runt325 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    u can't give her sunflower seeds right now

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Much more information needed. Tell us what kind of feed she's been eating for the last 3 years and when did the diet change to seeds, bread and noodles?
    Chickens are omnivores and need a much more varied diet but the best thing is a complete poultry ration.
    Has she ever had chicken feed?

Bread and noodles are far from appropriate for chickens.

Why not?

1 person likes this.
  5. hixzc

hixzc New Egg

Oct 6, 2016
    pretty much, after eating around my large backyard, they don't eat too much the food I give to them.

6. hixzc

hixzc New Egg

Oct 6, 2016
    why not? I have four of them , rest are good for three and half years.

7. lifewithpets

lifewithpets Just Hatched

Oct 6, 2016
    hawaii
    If she suffers from diarrhea, or any type of common disease, I recommend you spray some cinnamon powder into your chickens feed.

There is a lot of natural cures, cinnamon is one of them.

Is your chicken suffering from a cold shake? Or maybe even a trauma that cause her to lose her appetite? With an effect of not eating, she might suffer from an empty stomach which can be a leading cause to death, since food source for chickens are very, extremely, important health matter.
    Identify your chickens stool, is it running? Is there possibly blood in her stool? Act fast as you can, since chickens can have some quick changing dramatic effects and can die without proper care.

Hope this helps, lifewithpets2016

8. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    She is not getting proper nutrition get them some actual chicken food instead bird food

1 person likes this.
  9. lifewithpets

Oct 6, 2016
    hawaii
    Also, bird seeds are for chickens to just peck on, so never replace them with their daily food source.

10. lifewithpets

Oct 6, 2016
    hawaii
    You have to get use to giving your chicken "chicken feed". So, set their feed tonight, they will get use to if eventually because no matter if they like it or not, they got use to something else, you got to bring it back, so by giving normal feeds to them, they shall get use to in a couple of days, never give bird seeds n this process.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by