One of my hens has a cut on her foot???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Willow's Meadow, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    One of my hens came in the coop today with a cut foot. Its bloody.....but it's not bleeding right now. I think she stepped on a nail or something sharp outside. The cut is right between two of her claws like up at the top part. But it's hard to see because she is a Brahma so she has feathered feet. It really isn't bleeding that much....but the feathers on her foot have blood on them.....she wasn't limping or anything. Do you think I should just leave it alone or should I put something on it??? What should I put on it??? Do you think the other chickens will peck at it (its not really THAT noticable)??? I put her in the coop with the other chickens.....it's nighttime and there all on the roosts. I thought about bringing her in the house.....but decided not too.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If she's in with them now, I'd leave her; I assume it's dark there and they are roosting. I'd check on her in the morning, make sure they are not interested in the blood. BluKote is handy to have, to spray on something like this, both to mask the blood and it's a bit of a disinfectant for the wound.

I wouldn't have separated her either; I try very hard never to do that, as it messes up the pecking order, and they don't do well away from their buddies, anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by