One of my hens is acting much differen than the other 3

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hiltonmagic20, Feb 11, 2015.

1. hiltonmagic20

hiltonmagic20 New Egg

Feb 11, 2015
    I have 4 Rhode Island Red hens and three of them stay with each other while they are in the their run, as well when I let them run free in the backyard, but one stays by herself. She is still eating and drinking, but she is keeping to herself and not following the other 3 hens throughout the day. She is also moving around slower than the others. Today I shook some seeds in a cup which made the other 3 come running, but the one other hen didn't come over and kept grazing in the backyard. She has also been doing a lot of sitting around while the others are off scratching for food. Her eyes and comb look normal, she isn't having trouble perching or breathing. She is also sleeping further away from the other 3 hens at night. This behavior has been going on the last week or so. I'm thinking she is just the outcast hen, but I'm not sure. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on with her?

2. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

How long ago was she introduced to the flock?

3. hiltonmagic20

hiltonmagic20 New Egg

Feb 11, 2015
    She grew up with them as chicks. The 4 of them used to hang out together, but now one of them doesn't seem to be with the other 3.

4. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

She may be getting bullied!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by