1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One of my hens is ill.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Klimmek6, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Klimmek6

Klimmek6 New Egg

May 6, 2015
    I need help or advice. One of my hens is sick and I am not sure what it is. She has like a white pasty foul smelling substance on her vent area and feathers in the rear. She is listless and has a hard time walking, her feathers are fluffed up and she hides her head at times and she is very skinny you can really feel her breast bone. Her comb and the area around her face is not pale in color not the pretty red it should be. I have tried ACV, yogurt, garlic in her water. We are at the last resort wondering if she will pull through.

Help please!

Charmaine Klimmek

2. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos?
    How old is she?

It could be, as mentioned above, egg binding, but a white pasty foul odor can be an indication of Vent Gleet. This is like a yeast infection.

Either way she needs to have a soaking and cleaned up so you can see what going on. Gently feel inside the vent about an inch to see if you feel an egg. If so, soak her in epsom salts bath, lube the vent a bit and give her some calcium (Tums or liquid calcium). Keep her in a quiet place and see if she will pass the egg.

For vent gleet, clean her up, a soaking in epsom salts won't hurt, apply some anti-fungal cream to the vent area. You may need to find some Nystatin from a vet to get it under control.

Make sure she is drinking. Offer her some extra protein like egg, tuna or mackerel.

Let us know how she's doing.
    http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment-html/
    http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2013/09/vent-gleet-symptoms-causes-and-natural.html

4. Klimmek6

Klimmek6 New Egg

May 6, 2015
    Don't think it is egg binding as it has been going on since spring it seems. I sure she would have not made it this long with egg binding am I correct in my thinking. I just started to use an anti-fungal today and I have been washing her vent area almost daily. As well as yogurt and garlic in her water. We hope she gets better. Thanks for you advice.

Charmaine

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

6. Klimmek6

Klimmek6 New Egg

May 6, 2015
    So I was doing the bathing in epsom salt, oil and other routine things for egg bound hens, I noticed my hen has a slightly hard mass on her abdomen area behind her rt. leg. Not sure if an egg can get down there, if its a tumor or I just read about ascites could it be that? Any suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by