One of my hens is lethargic laid a single yolk earlier

GraysonFailla

Hatching
Aug 14, 2020
Shreveport, Louisiana
One of my hens laid her first egg on August 3rd. All her eggs up until today have been good. Today, she started acting lethargic around 5:30 PM. I grabbed her from the run and put her near the nesting box. She went to lay in the nesting box and once she got up, there was a single egg yolk there and no sign of an egg shell! Is it possible she was egg bound and the shell broke up inside of her? Does she need more calcium? She’s still acting lethargic but now she’s drinking water on her own. I also put some fresh cold water out & crunched up some egg shells and put it on top of the food.

Probably not 'egg bound', but I'd guess a soft shell, they can act weird when that happens.
Take a good look at her vent to make sure the membrane passed too.
Had this happen last week, part of membrane was hanging out, put her in a crate overnight and she passed the rest of it was on floor in the morning.

What all and how exactly are you feeding?

Oh, and....Welcome to BYC! @GraysonFailla
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1597492061727.png

Probably not 'egg bound', but I'd guess a soft shell, they can act weird when that happens.
Take a good look at her vent to make sure the membrane passed too.
Had this happen last week, part of membrane was hanging out, put her in a crate overnight and she passed the rest of it was on floor in the morning.

What all and how exactly are you feeding?

Oh, and....Welcome to BYC! @GraysonFailla
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2291096

It’s pretty hot and humid where I live in Louisiana. Also, my hen has been acting normal today! To answer your question, I feed my chickens regular layer feed, some lettuce, a little bit of egg shells for extra calcium starting yesterday, and I let them find whatever they want to eat in the backyard!

Back
Top Bottom