One of my hens is MIA

BGcoop

Crowing
5 Years
Aug 5, 2018
At lock up time tonight one of my barred rock girls did not make it home. ( they free range every afternoon/evening when we are home, and in the mornings or when we are gone if they decide to be ambitious enough to escape the run- a few are more determined than the rest) Anyway, I have been suspicious that the girls are hiding eggs on me lately but I can’t seem to find the nest, we are on 10acres mostly wooded. And this is the same hen that went broody on me last fall on a hidden nest of 24 eggs!. Thankfully last fall I found her on the nest after only 2 days and I didn’t end up with a couple dozen chicks I didn’t plan for.
My plan for tomorrow morning is to let the girls out early and watch them like a hawk in the hopes that they’ll lead me to the hidden nest. Wish me luck, cuz I really don’t want her to show back up in a month with a dozen or more chicks😬 we only have so much space at freezer camp!!

LOL. Good luck.

Yes, I have very sneaky broodies too. I've got one now in the rafters. I keep checking to make sure she hasn't got any eggs under her. It will be quite the first step for the chicks if she actually hatched any there. Crazy girl.

LofMc

At lock up time tonight one of my barred rock girls did not make it home. ( they free range every afternoon/evening when we are home, and in the mornings or when we are gone if they decide to be ambitious enough to escape the run- a few are more determined than the rest) Anyway, I have been suspicious that the girls are hiding eggs on me lately but I can’t seem to find the nest, we are on 10acres mostly wooded. And this is the same hen that went broody on me last fall on a hidden nest of 24 eggs!. Thankfully last fall I found her on the nest after only 2 days and I didn’t end up with a couple dozen chicks I didn’t plan for.
My plan for tomorrow morning is to let the girls out early and watch them like a hawk in the hopes that they’ll lead me to the hidden nest. Wish me luck, cuz I really don’t want her to show back up in a month with a dozen or more chicks😬 we only have so much space at freezer camp!!
8's found a hidden nest of eggs under the slide 8n or back yard. Broody and all there.

Hen is still MIA this morning. I took a more detailed walk through the woods and couldn’t find her, on the plus side, I didn’t find any piles of feathers so I’m hoping she hasn’t gotten herself predatored. Of course all the other hens are just hanging out in the yard this morning so following them to her hasn’t worked so far. 🫤

Back
Top Bottom