1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One of my hens isn't laying.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lwiley1959, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Lwiley1959

Lwiley1959 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Antioch,California
    Three of the four hens I have are laying an egg a day. I have one that is not maturing like the others. She has not developed her comb and waddle like the others and is not submissive and she has not laid an egg yet. I got them all at the same time and they all were the same age.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    How old are they? How long have the others been laying? What breed?

3. Lwiley1959

Jun 21, 2011
    Antioch,California
    They are 23 weeks and have been laying just under 3 weeks. The one that isn't laying is a buff Orpington .

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

BO are large birds, thus, they often take much longer to mature. Give her time.

5. Lwiley1959

Jun 21, 2011
    Antioch,California
    Thanks Fred

6. CC1892

CC1892 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    East Coast
    Quote:Fear not she will lay soon. I have a Buff, who surprised me with 3 eggs in the last week, but it was today I realized at 26 weeks these pretty little eggs belong to the Buff. She made allot noise a couple days earlier, but no egg. She also did a half hearted squat, and still resists being picked up. Plus her comb and waddle are still underdeveloped as compared to the others. Then the eggs came, they have a nice sheen to them;the color is pinkish in tone, and they are more long then round. I don't know if this is pertinent but the egg color is close to the whitish/pinkish color of her feet. Interesting!

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. Even though the chicks may be from the same hatch doesn't mean they will all mature at the same rate. I have had birds start laying as early as 16 weeks and other at nearly 30 weeks from the same hatch. Each bird is different. Keep the faith she should start soon if she is squatting.

8. blueggsandspam

blueggsandspam Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2011
    Almost Heaven
    Congratulations on 1 not laying I have 7 hens and only got 2 eggs today.

1 person likes this.
  9. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    I have an astrolorp and she is now 8 months old and not an egg from her. nothing nada LOL. not sure why.

1 person likes this.
  10. Lwiley1959

Jun 21, 2011
    Antioch,California
    Well, it's been 4 years since I got my four chickens and now, I just have 2 left. I have my two buff orpingtons still, they stopped laying when my New Jersey giant died 5 months ago. Someone started laying 5 days ago and so far I have 4 eggs. Today I got three new babies. Plymouth Barred Rocks! I have never raised them this old. I forgot to ask how old they are, but they can't be more than a few days old. I will try to get a good picture.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by