one of my hens just honked

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ufoundwaldo, Jul 21, 2011.

1. ufoundwaldo

ufoundwaldo Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    So, I am thinking I may have a rooster and unfortuately s/he is my only Easter Egger. My birds are about 14 weeks old and today my Easter Egger stood up tall and honked a couple of times...do hens honk? S/he is also a little bit of a bully too, but i was hoping that the breed was just a little more aggressive than the others. Any thoughts?

2. SadieSue

SadieSue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Tacoma, WA
    I have a couple of honking hens. One is my barnevelder who is nearly a year old, and the other is one of my BCM chicks who just turned 10 weeks. It's not a very pleasant sound, not cute like a cluck, cluck, but I can't hold it against them. Don't give up on your bird too soon!

3. LoreenH

LoreenH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    A couple of my girls honked for a bit when they were around 10 weeks, they are now almost 17 weeks and I haven't heard any of them honk anymore. When one honked the first time my husband asked me if we had ducks that look like chickens. [​IMG]

4. Dutchess

Dutchess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:A couple of mine are honking at 12 weeks. Sounds like a duck more than a chicken and the thought did cross my mind that she may be a he...[​IMG] I'm still not sure.

5. BeckyandHerBrood

BeckyandHerBrood Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Champaign, IL
    One of my BO hens sounds like a goose (most of the time) and she is definitely a "she".

6. ufoundwaldo

ufoundwaldo Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    wow, just hearing others have had the same experience really helps. I was quite startled and confused when she honked but she was quite proud of herself. Didn't know exactly what to do. Now, i will just be patient. Thanks.

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    A few of my girls went through a honking stage starting around 12 weeks of age.

8. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I also have a few "honkers". They often do this when they sing the egg song. The first time I heard it I thought there were geese in the yard!

9. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I also have a honker. A buff Cochin- she sounds just like a goose. And because of her feathered legs, she waddles like one too!

10. boxedcow

boxedcow Out Of The Brooder

My EE girl honks. I thought she had hurt herself at first but nope. My EE roo isn't crowing yet, but that could be because there are two roos next door that crow most of the day so he doesn't feel he needs to. He tends to just make little other odd noises instead. I ended up doing a search on here and found that apparently EEs like to make lots of silly sounds [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by