One of my hens laid a huge soft shelled egg with a normal egg inside!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shandiane78, Oct 27, 2009.

1. shandiane78

shandiane78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Woodinville, WA
    Just thought I'd share! Hands down the most bizarre egg I've found! It was HUGE. The shell was soft and squishy, but when I broke it open, there was a normal sized hard shelled egg inside it! One yolk in the outer egg, another yolk in the smaller egg. I guess she didn't have enough calcium to make that huge outer shell in addition to the normal shell inside!

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

[​IMG]

There are some videos showing this on youtube.

I've been blessed to not receive one of these from my hens. I have a strong gag reflex...lol.

3. kassy68

kassy68 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2009
    Vassar , Michigan
    My Coop
    No picture? I think my hen was trying to do this , but just died this morning in the process.. the egg I got when I opened her up was a perfect egg, bigger then her normal with a membrance around it. poor girl. Good job on yours there.. Ive heard ppl saying they've found like 6 or more eggs layered within each other.. way weird.. I am STILL wondering how the shelled egg got back up to the area to put a new membrane on it..

4. shandiane78

Jul 23, 2009
    Woodinville, WA
    Ok, so the same hen that laid the egg within an egg laid another bizarro egg today. (This time I took pics.) This one is much smaller, and is an egg covered with another white, and a weird looking membrane.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. boxwoman

boxwoman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2009
    New Milford
    I had the same thing happen today. Crazy! [​IMG][​IMG]

6. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I got one of these once. It was very weird.

7. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    except my outer egg was really only a sack of slime...no yolk. I did google egg inside egg once and found some interesting info.

8. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    I think someone hatched one of these once and the Aliens vs. Predator movies were born...

9. boxwoman

boxwoman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2009
    New Milford
    My hen has not layed an egg since Friday when she layed that giant egg with an smaller egg inside. Is there anything that I can do to help her become regular?

10. shandiane78

Jul 23, 2009
    Woodinville, WA
    I don't know if there's anything you can do, but after mine laid the huge egg within an egg, she stopped for 3 days I think? Then she laid this bizarre one in the photo, and nothing for a couple days after that. Now she has laid two normal eggs in two days, so I hope her system is starting to regulate. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by