One of my hens looks unwell

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Coupcock, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Coupcock

Coupcock New Egg

Nov 28, 2012
    Hi there,
    I have only been keeping hens for about 6 weeks, so am very news to their ways. In the last few days one of the girls seems very lethargic and uninterested in anything around her. She will sit or stand in the same place for hours on end. Her back end is pointing down to the floor and not lifted so it looks like her back is smiling (if you know what I mean). The other two are eating everything they see, but she appears to be off her food too. They are all about 22 weeks old and the other two have just started laying. If you have any ideas or suggestions I'd be very grateful.
    Thanks.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Check for mites/lice and is there anything wrong with her poo?

Also check for moldy feed or anything moldy in the coop. That can make them sick too.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  4. Coupcock

Coupcock New Egg

Nov 28, 2012
    Thanks for that. I have given her a good look over and there is no sign of lice or mites. I change their bedding every morning and puff diatom on it too. Once a week I treat the whole coup to a good wash down and spray it all with poultry shield. In all honesty there's more chance of me having lice than them ;) Someone did say that an egg may have broken inside her, but I don't know what it could be.

5. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    you should take a good look at her waste dont you think? maybe she has a virus? any other symptoms?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by