One of my hens spent the night out!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cackilacky, Jul 15, 2010.

1. cackilacky

cackilacky Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    This never happened to me before...night before last, when I went to close the coop door, I noticed that only 4 of 5 girls were roosting. I looked around the yard with my flashlight (it had just gotten dark), but no sign of Iris. I figured she had become a raccoon snack, and was feeling bad that I hadn't shut the coop earlier. Ten year old DD said, "she's probably just up in a tree somewhere or under the porch." We know some people who have chickens that roost outside, but we have predators, so I didn't think she was right. That night there was a big thunderstorm, so I figured even if the chicken were still alive, she might not be safe. Then, the next morning at 6:15 I wake up to the "where's my posse?" song right outside the bedroom window. Sure enough, Iris was standing in the front yard, looking for the flock. If only chickens could talk! I'd like to know where she spent the night [​IMG]

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    You/she are very lucky. It was probably the storm that kept the predators from roaming that night. Glad she is OK.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by