One of my hens started off with a watery eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by calisun, Nov 27, 2016.

1. calisun

calisun New Egg

Nov 27, 2016
    Central California
    One of my hens started off with a watery eye which within a few hours it comoletely closed, I then separated her and brought her inside, the next day it was both eyes, she has stopped eating and drinking so I had to squirt some antibiotic treated water in her mouth. Next day she had a white film over both, I cleaned her eyes out and started giving the rest of my flock antibiotic treated water. She developed a cough and today she doesn't look good. When I went out this morning I noticed that another hen that was in the sick ones coop had a watery eye as well so I just separated her from the rooster they were with. And advice? Should I just cull both now so there isn't anymore spread?

2. Minalikesyou

Minalikesyou Just Hatched

Jul 11, 2016
    It's too early to make any assumptions my first question is, is there swelling? Next, is there any bubbles forming in the eye? I've had a hen go through this and although its alarming its generally quite treatable the name is Mycoplasma Gallisepticum. Here is an article on it and its symptoms http://www.thepoultrysite.com/disea...tion-mg-chronic-respiratory-disease-chickens/
    Give me some feedback and I'll try to help as best I can.

3. calisun

calisun New Egg

Nov 27, 2016
    Central California
    The original sick chicken yes she has started to swell. The second chicken is isolated outside and only has bubbles. I have flushed her eye out, sprayed veterecyn and put terramycin on both along with an antibiotic water treatment

4. Minalikesyou

Jul 11, 2016
    It's widely recommended to treat with Tylan, the complication becomes if this is the case many of your other hens have already been exposed and could be unknowingly sick. I would do a through clean of the coop with bleach and remove the remaining hens and thoroughly check each of them for any discharge from the eyes or nose. You could just cull the sick hen but it won't solve the problem unfortunately and she could pull through with proper care. Knowing this, I'd suggest not eating their eggs until you are sure the infection has been controlled. When treating any illness in hen I generally always recommend to provide electrolytes and a dark warm space to help the hen fight their illness. Start here and update me on any further development.

5. calisun

calisun New Egg

Nov 27, 2016
    Central California
    Tylan 50? How much do I inject?

6. Minalikesyou

Jul 11, 2016
    I'd suggest using the powder form that you just dissolve in their drinking water. The container should have instructions on how much to put per gallon of water but its a pretty small amount, if there isn't instructions you can call a vet and ask for advice on dosage. The powder form looks like this http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=10935 its widely used to treat respiratory problems problems in chickens.

7. calisun

calisun New Egg

Nov 27, 2016
    Central California
    Only way to get it around here is in injection form. I gave them oxytetracycline powder.u es I can go to the vet but considering what they charge it's outrageous.

8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

9. Minalikesyou

Jul 11, 2016
    I totally understand, I couldn't afford it either. I would recommend just calling then which should be free or searching online for recommendations.

10. andforever

andforever New Egg

Oct 1, 2016
    Lexington IL
    I just had a sickness run through my flock out of nowhere, many of them are very ill and only one fatality so far.. even had to tube feed some of my girls :( I'm guessing that this is whats wrong with them... Mucous, sneezing, swollen bubbly pussy eyes, lethargy.. poor babies :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by