One of my hens will not sleep in the coop anymore.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jstinsmommy, Dec 22, 2012.

1. jstinsmommy

jstinsmommy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2012
    I am very new to having chickens, as well as posting in forums. We got 4 hens from a local hatchery on October 13th They were about 25 weeks then . A bantam columbian wyandotte, a bantam gold laced wyandotte, a buff brahma, and a blue laced red wyandotte splash. We still have no eggs but arent too worried being its winter. All our hens were sleeping in the coop at night. Just 1 week ago we introduced 2 new hens, a barred rock, and a welsummer. The new ones are over a year old. Now all of a sudden the bantam columbian wyandotte sleeps outside way up on the highest perch. We put her inside with the others and after a bit she comes back outside. Should i be worried? Thanks for any advise anyone can offer. As i mentioned we are very new to this and BYC has been a wonderful source of information

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

She may feel as though she will be bullied by the others. Make sure they have enough roost space to get away from each other. I have seen hens peck relentlessly at another on the roost. If there is no place to "run" on the roost pole then going outside looks pretty good from a hen's perspective.

3. jstinsmommy

Dec 13, 2012
    Thank you so very much for the reply. Do you think she will be ok outside like that? Or should i do sometthing.I have to admit though the hen house is quite large. It has a huge "common area" then 3 big nesting boxes off of that.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Hens need to be safe from wind blowing on them (drafts) and predators while asleep. Your setup would determine whether those needs are met. I have shed coops. If anyone got the idea to sleep outside I'd lose them to the owls.

5. jstinsmommy

Dec 13, 2012
    ok, the "outside" part she is in is fully enclosed with wire fencing so she is safe from preditors. And right now most of the coop has a tarp around it to keep all the rain from flooding out the coop. So i guess she will be alright but we will keep a close eye on things. Thanks again for all your advise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by