One of my lambs is dead - in a pig ark with a dead rabbit - WHY?!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by caroline-f, Oct 31, 2010.

1. caroline-f

caroline-f New Egg

Oct 7, 2010
    I have 24 sheep but today one of my Herdwick lambs died. It was inside the pig ark they use as a n occasional shelter, and there was a dead rabbit in the doorway. This had guts coming out (sorry) had been killed by something. When our son found the lamb it was still just alive but it quietly died within a few munutes. It was a good lamb, plenty of weight on it, a bit dirty round the tail, otherwise perfect and was skipping about yesterday. Could it have been trapped in there by a fox and been frightened to death? I just cant get my head round it. We do have a fox problem - we lost a number of lambs in spring but this one was april born and big and unharmed. Its horns weren't ingrown. One of the others has a bit of a cough and a couple have dirty rear ends I just clipped. They are on the last of the grass but just got onto a new field which has been resting on the 6 weeks rotation. A ram will come next week and I dont want us to have some disease, though we havent had any movement on or off our land since May. Any ideas please?!

2. Barred Rocks forever

Barred Rocks forever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    maryland
    possible the whatever it was killed the rabbit then noticed the lamb d you guys have coyotes to ? sounds like fox

3. caroline-f

caroline-f New Egg

Oct 7, 2010
    Hi there, thanks for reply, no Coyotes we only have foxes here as predators other than birds of prey - I am in the UK. Can a lamb be frightened to death literally? x

4. Barred Rocks forever

Barred Rocks forever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    maryland
    Quote:its been a logn time since ive had sheep its possible for sheep to be scared to death i beleve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by