1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One of my leghorns is tripping backwards

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dabossmossbr, Mar 22, 2017.

1. dabossmossbr

dabossmossbr New Egg

Jan 19, 2017
    My Leghorn hen will stand up and then she will start to walk backwards till she falls on her butt then when she does stand up she cannot stand up long and then she goes back down but she has her legs out like she doesn't know what to do. I was trying to see has anyone had this issue before she's 5 months old and she's surrounded by another 50 different chickens

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. It sounds like something neurological, but a vitamin deficiency or an injury can't be ruled out. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? I would start some poultry vitamins in her water, and give her a little chopped egg with her food daily. Watch to see that she is close to her food and water, and you may want to put her in a crate or pen to watch her. Has she ever started to lay yet, or has her comb turned red yet?

3. dabossmossbr

dabossmossbr New Egg

Jan 19, 2017
    Thank you for responding! No I didn't do the Mareks vaccine, she did not start to lay. A few weeks ago half of my chickens caught a respiratory disease, they all recovered because I aggressively. Then all of sudden she cannot stand I believe she has the Mareks disease after you asked was she vaccinated.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I wouldn't jump to conclusions about it being Mareks yet. It could be, but there are other things to rule out. Dehydration or the things I mentioned before such as an injury or vitamin deficiency or something else could be possible. I would just observe her, try to get her to drink and eat, start the vitamins, and see how she does the next few days. Thiamine (vitamin B1,) riboflavin (B2, ) and vitamin E are important ones. Egg, tuna, or nuts and seeds chopped can be food for selenium, a mineral she needs.

5. dabossmossbr

dabossmossbr New Egg

Jan 19, 2017
    Thank you she did succumb to whatever was affecting her. I still do not know what was wrong with her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by