One of my little one has leg problem.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Gyoza, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Gyoza

Gyoza Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2011
    Hello, one of my little duckling has leg problem.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyone seen this before and is there anything I can do to help it out?

Thank you

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think some of the Duck Forum members have seen this kind of problem.

I recall making sure the duck starts getting extra vitamins, such as Nutri-Drench or Vitamins/Electrolytes Plus, or other poultry vitamins. Some have used vet wrap or similar material to make supports for the legs and feet. Opportunities to swim in warm water can help strengthen the legs without weight on them.

Let's hope that those who have worked with these kinds of things can check in soon.

Thanks for the pics! They really help understand what you are working with.

3. Mike Winters

Mike Winters Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    did it come out of in incubator? i had a white pekin drake with a twisted leg like that because it hatched in a incubator with the egg rotators on and i didn't know they were about to hatch. he grew up fine just had to baby him a little bit he grew up with a limp and after 1 year and a half his leg fell off lost weight and he learned to fly to compensate. if the bones has solidified he may be like that for the rest of his life but if the bones still soft cartilage you may be able to splint it some how.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  5. Gyoza

Gyoza Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2011
    I tried to 'find' it's tandem but it seems to be okay. Not moving much.

The duckling is about 3 weeks old.

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Does the back of its hock joint look like this from the back ??? Or can you see the rounded ends of the joints?

[​IMG]

7. Gyoza

Gyoza Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2011
    No it doesn't look like that.

This is what it looks like.

[​IMG]

8. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    [​IMG] - But the joint still looks wrong in some way to me- kind of twisted. It could just be that I am more used to the skinny legs of Runners rather than other breeds now.

I have marked the area that looks most odd to me below.

[​IMG]

3 dimensionally to you it may look different- but in this photo...... it makes the joint look odd. In the new photo you have posted- the joint also looks to have some swelling- how does it compare the the other leg? And it is hot at the joint at all?

9. Gyoza

Gyoza Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2011
    Comparing to it's siblings. The joint seems to be swollen on the outer edge. When I move it's tandem it seems to be located in a groove. The joint doesn't feel warm but it's lower leg does feel colder than the left feet.

10. un-named

un-named Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Can the duckling get up? Can he put any weight on the bad leg at all, even if only to use it to balance himself?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by