One of my new baby chicks is a rooster...anyone have luck with a rooster in a city?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fiddleblue, Dec 8, 2012.

1. fiddleblue

fiddleblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    I got several sexed day old chicks at the local feed shop...one of them ( a Welsummer) appears to be turning into a rooster not a hen. I love the lil' thing and am sad to think I have to give him up because I live in an urban area where roosters are not allowed to be kept. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck finding that they can keep a rooster in such a situation...either, the rooster wasn't loud, or the neighbors weren't bothered, or something else. Are there any breeds of roosters which are quieter or crow less, or are they all pretty much the same?

2. dracoe19

dracoe19 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    If you want to try to keep the rooster I would talk to all of your neighbors asking first. It's bother some but it is good to show them that you are taking their thoughts and living into consideration. I don't think you will be able to keep him though even if you do this :(. Some neighbors maybe fine with it but you will always have that "one neighbor" that hates everyone and makes your life difficult. I would try to find him a home now so you won't have to deal with bitter neighbors. It's sad to say but once they hear the rooster they may demand all of the chickens go (Even though that is stupid and irrational it can happen). At least he is still young and not crowing yet (I assume) so you have time to find him a home.

3. fiddleblue

fiddleblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Thanks for the advice. I sense, sadly, that what you say is true and I won't be able to keep the darling little guy. I will start posting an ad to give him away pretty soon!

4. dracoe19

dracoe19 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    Good luck finding him a home! Sorry you can't keep the little guy :(

5. joesmania

joesmania Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2012
    Deleted by me

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Are you certain that it's a rooster rather than a hen developing a larger comb as she reaches maturity? Are hackle and saddle feathers typical of those on a cockerel? Can you post a picture?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  7. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    I think the others are right.He will have to go.
    I have some young roos and they crow pretty loud.iyFortunately I live in the country
    A neighbor about 1/4 of a mile away has a roo i can hear in the morning too so i dont think you can hide him away. the crowing will go beyond your close neighbors once he does. It isnt that often mine crow generally if i walk out the door sometimes like a dog might bark or when i come out to feed them but some ppl are mean
    Myself i like the sound
    .And yes i would sell him before some neighbor complains about them all. SO TRUE!!
    Hens can be loud too when they are laying an egg. bluck bluck bluck sometimes for 1/2 hour. but not quit as loud as a roo...

8. cary 1973

cary 1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

if you really want to keep him talk to all your neighbors find out what time there up in the am go to bed if that is the main concern for people and if they are all fine you may have to turn him into a indoor at night rooster as say all neighbors are out and about and awake at 9am then that might be the time you let him out and then bring him indoors at night to sleep not to tick off the neighbors. I dont know about your town but in henderson roosters are not allowed but animal controll dont go searching for rooster they only come around when people complain we had a rooster that lived down the street for about 4 years till they all moved we never heard him before 8am. you can also sweeten the neighbors with some freash eggs once and while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by