One of my nigi girls new baby!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by marie_martin, Apr 4, 2008.

1. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Here are a few pics I took. He did not like it and mom was very nervous. Not to mention all the rain!! So I will try to get better ones tomorrow. Congrats Brandi! He is a keeper and if he were registered, we might have had to keep him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We are very proud of him and his mom. She did great. And of course dad too!
    Boy does he throw some color.

Marie

2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Awww so pretty! [​IMG]

3. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Very Cute....
    Love little babies....

Was he a single?? If so, is that normal??
    Just curious. Never had baby goats here before. Ours were/are adults when we got them.
    Shawna

4. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Thanks and no, single births are not unusual with first time moms although the most common in goats in general would be twins and triplets and quads are not that uncommon.

Marie

5. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    [​IMG]

He's gorgeous, Marie! CONGRATS!

Yup, I have a lot of does who only throw singles most of the time. They say twins and triplets are most common, singles and quads runner up, and quints are rare.

6. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Thanks Kate! Wondered how long it would take you to see the announcement on here or goat talk.

Marie

7. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I'm here more :)

I keep thinking all this stormy weather will throw my FF, Two Spot, into labor...FFs drive me nutso!

Congrats again - what a looker!

8. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:OK...I was just curious. The goats I have are adult males, so no baby factory here as far as goats, But our sheep mostly had twins...Actually it was 1 single, 4 sets of twins, 1 set of triplets. (all though one twin didn't make it, so I say mostly 2 singles, 3 sets of twins, 1 set of triplets is what we ended up with).
    I would love to get a little female pygmy goat for our boys. Actually just for one of them. The other two are getting fixed here soon!!!! Convincing the hubby that I need another animal is almost like pulling teeth. But hey if I sneak one in, after a day or two he won't even know it's a new addition....lol [​IMG]
    Shawna

9. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Does anyone milk there mini nigi's or do you just let them raise there own? When I get older I want a few toggenburg does or may be alpines I love the large breed goats.

Henry

10. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    I don't milk unless I see that they are overfilled at first, and then I save that for future kiddings in case for some reason I need it for a baby. But they are easy to milk and there are a lot of folks that do milk them. They produce a large amount for their size and the butterfat content is higher. More concentrated I guess. Makes great fudge from what I hear. You should join Goat Talk or other forum and you can find the answers to any question and find others who milk.

Marie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by