One of my peas died

melissa508

Songster
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
ma
Monday evening I went to lock up the birds & when inside my peachix pen I noticed one of my young girls wasnt on the perch, she was sleeping on the floor.
My peas are still off the ground, on raised wire which I recently covered with hay to keep out drafts. They are inside the barn also. Besides the wire floor, I removed the divider & for a couple of weeks they have had access to a concrete paver floor- no dirt. They dont even get down on the floor either.

I have given them 3 separate meds, panacure about 2mths ago , ivermectin & wazine -all at different times. The rest look fine, she felt very thin in the breast, so i took her in & she ended up dying last night..she refused to eat or drink & I couldnt force her.

Im suspecting some type of internal parasite & whatever it was..the meds I gave her werent enuf to controll them.

The only times Ive ever lost peas were this same time of year..why is that?

I'm sorry to hear you lost one of your peachicks. I've recently lost three in 10 days. I'm starting to wonder if it was the time of the year, as well. We got a cold snap here with rain. I thought they may have had worms or mites, but treated for both with no luck. Then I lost my adult male to a predator. It was a bad couple of days.
I had such good luck with my first batch, so I can only imagine how you feel. When I lose a critter I feel so bad because I took on the responsibility for its care. I hope the others do well for you. L

sorry for your loss. I too am worried about mine. I've wormed them and gave them antibiotics but the babies have a sniffle again. All I see is a sniffle, no other symptoms. I have 2 that are about 4 months old and they hold their heads in like a crouched position, and I wonder why. They seem to do that since I've obtained them about 2 months ago. not sure if this is normal or not.
Well hope you feel better. You did all you could.

I'm so sorry to hear about your hen. Sometimes we just don't know what happened. What did your hen's droppings look like? Did they have a coccidiostat in their feed as chicks? That's the only illness that comes to mind, other than just not being a thrifty bird. Again, I'm so sorry.

So sorry to hear about your hen Melissa. How old was she?
hugs.gif
If you had given the panacure, ivermectin, and wazine, wouldn't that have taken care of any internal and external parasite?

i got 2 peachicks a while back on july 14, 2009 i think.
i wormed them when they were both about 4 weeks old.
one of mine died about 1 month ago but not of worms i dont think. she got stuck under the coop.
well i still have one and she is huge in my opinion and has never been wormed since then. i gave her a mother silkie hen and shes been on dirt, straw, grass.
anything you can think of.
shes perfectly healthy.
=]

Yep, like yall said, this is the time of year for sickness due to cold fronts, bad weather, and young (or old) birds.
Many forms of bacterial infections and or viruses can cause sudden weight loss and lack of appetite, and /or diarrhea (yes also seen with coccidiosis).
Head crouched is one sign, droopy wings are another. Sneezing, mucus, itchy eyes, are often signs of Mycoplasma gallisepticum, or chronic respiratory disease (the chicken cold) It too can at times cause weight loss and can be deadly if left untreated. This time of year, it really pays to monitor your birds very closely and watch for any of these signs. If you see any or all of them in any bird, it's best to break out the Tylan, or some other good antibiotic and get to work. Dose all your birds too, not just the one that acts sick over in pen A, cause usually pen C,D,E,F, will soon have it too.
Sure hate to hear of your loss
Aubrey

Sorry to hear you lost them. All those meds. you posted are all wormers. Medicated feed help with coccidiosis. could have got blackhead maybe?? Give them some tylan 50 in some water or down the throat. 1cc

Peafowl dont look sick until they are real bad off. catch the others see if they are getting light.

catch the others see if they are getting light.

Thats what i did yesterday, so far they all feel meaty in the breast.

Its odd how the only times Ive lost peas were late oct/november. I even live in a different climate now, before i was in SC ..now im in MA.
Once i found 1 dead on the ground & 1 huddled one morning- Thats when i decided to buy the tylan 200 injectable & gave her 3 shots in the breast, 3x a day for 10 days & also put the humidifier with that anti viral liquid in it- i forget the name..but she was cured..and anytime after i saw one not looking right- i got the shots out & never had a death again.
Today i will run to TSC & get a new bottle..mine is years out of date.

Also..when i do have a death, its always about the same age-around 5mths old.
Before reading the peafowl section here, i never realized you had to worm, so all my peas ever got was the ivermectin & some de.​

Back
Top Bottom