One of my poor little babies died this morning and I don't know why?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 16chickadees, May 9, 2011.

1. 16chickadees

16chickadees Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    My chickadees aren't really babies they are actually probably around 2 1/2 - 3 months old but one of them died this morning [​IMG] . I can't understand why though. She was a Road Island Red and they eat just normal scratch feed. Their water and food were perfectly normal and the temperature didn't get low last night. The weather is fine besides the wind. I give them typical starter scratch but I mix a little pig feed in with it (all ground at my friends mill) and sometimes I give them lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, ect. They have a box in their pen with a heat lamp, water, and food in it for at night. If you need anything else to help me figure out why she died then I'll answer any questions willingly and openly. Thank you and help me out if you can!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello, and so sorry to hear that. The only thing I can think of to tell you is that scratch is not nutritious for chickens. It's more like candy. And I have no idea if pig feed is healthy for a chicken. Can you just buy them some chick grower? They should really have that until they are appx 17 weeks of age. It's the exact nutrition their little bodies need for proper growth and developement and feather growth as well......

Good luck to you!

Sharon

3. 16chickadees

16chickadees Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    I see to buying them some of that. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by