One of my pullets is missing :-(

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by flowerchicks, Nov 4, 2011.

1. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    My broody hatched 3 chicks on July 9. One of them is the sister to my little Tulie, the rooster in my avatar. He was 1/2 silkie and 1/2 d'uccle, and the sweetest chicken I had. I had to "rehome" him last spring, and apparently, I picked the wrong home, because he was killed by predators. I had to rehome my other 2 roosters in Aug. but I was able get my broody to hatch 3 eggs and one of them hatched into Tulies sister. I was sooooooo excited she was a she, I named her TulieRose (I name all my chickens after flowers/plants). Well, this morning, I let everybody out as usual. TulieRose always perches on my hand to be hand fed a little scratch. Everybody was fine when I left for work. I got home later than usual tonight, 7:30. It is almost always dark when I go check on the girls for a head count and lock up the coop. Tonight, TulieRose was missing [​IMG] We have just under an acre and we searched with a flashlight, but she is small and solid black, so we would practically have to step on her to see her. The only other time I had a chicken that didnt make into the coop, it was my wyandotte. I found her huddled under a hammock when I took a head count. I put her in the coop, and the next morning she was dead. She was obviously sick and that is why she didnt go to roost. The only preditors we have are raccoons, but they dont come out until later, there are too many dogs around, including mine.

I am so upset, She was just as sweet as Tulie, but I guess it is the connection to him that upsets me most. I am just crossing my fingers that she just got herself somewhere she couldnt get out of before dark, and she will find her way back in the morning. She can fly very well, but she is also very attached to her hatch mates, so I don't know why she would leave them.

I have heard it so many times before on this forum.....why is it always our favorite chicken [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    Keep hope up. Something may have scared her and she will return in daylight. Recently i was missing 4 ducks.... thought predators got them, but they came back in the morning.
    She may be roosting on something for tonight. [​IMG]

3. artsy1

artsy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    sarasota
    last month, one of my RIR BANTAMS got out of the run and we couldn't find her all night. The next day around 12.00 he came over with the hen in his arms and said "did you lose someone?" so there is hope.
    It was a miracle.........she is so small, the angels were watching her.

4. Wild Prime

Wild Prime Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Idaho
    I hope she comes back. Im sry. My favorite chicken ran off too. But I found her two days later on my property

5. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    She's still missing. I let all the hens out into our yard thus morning hoping if she is hiding she would cone out. But, we saw a hawk at the top of a pine tree, so I am afraid that it got her yesterday. Can a hawk carry a small chicken? There us no sign of a kill anywhere. She was the same size as her d'ucccle mom. I am so sad [​IMG]

6. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Quote:Sadly yes, hawks often take small chickens.
    You probably wouldn't have found a kill scene because they pick them up and well you know...

But keep your head up!
    Maybe she will show up?

Sorry for your losses though [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by