1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One of my pullets is suddenly aggressive

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bribrewster, Mar 11, 2015.

1. bribrewster

bribrewster Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2014
    I've had my girls since they were two days old. They have always lived together pretty peacefully, maybe tiny pecks here or there, but that has been the extent of it. All of a sudden one of my hens is showing aggression towards one of my silkies. She's pecking and charging at her. She's never even come close to acting this way before and I'm wondering if this is just normal pecking order stuff or what.

They have access to the entire backyard and through the winter they had plenty of space in their coop and they actually got to go outside quite a bit even in the winter because it's been so mild. They are definitely not overcrowded. Any idea why she's acting like this? Anything I can do?

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Sometimes when birds become mature, they will start to be more aggressive about establishing a dominance hierarchy. You might try separating her for a few days from the rest of the birds, then reintroducing her - sometimes that will discourage aggression.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How old are the birds?
    Are they laying yet?

The pecking order can change and that may be what you are seeing.
    As long as the bird being pecked is not bleeding profusely and or being pinned down and beaten, let them work it out. There should be places in the coop where a bullied bird can retreat to safety.

Silkies have those top knots and it can severely inhibit their ability to see, that could also be part of the problem.

4. bribrewster

bribrewster Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2014
    They started laying about 2 months ago. The one being aggressive is a Polish so she can't see very well either! She isn't drawing blood and she doesn't pursue the Silkie once she's out of her way. The coop is open to them all day and they definitely have space in there to retreat. I'll wait then and let them sort it out. Thanks for the advice!

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Oh, the feinting without pursuing is pretty typical chicken 'language'....I see that all the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by