One of my pullets stopped laying.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dltc96, Aug 26, 2010.

1. dltc96

dltc96 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    Colorado
    I'm not sure what's going on with her. She was laying fine for a couple of weeks; now she has stopped. She seems to be fine and healthy. There is no sign of inflammation, and she is acting pretty normal. But, she acts like she is laying. She uses the nesting box, scratches around and rearranges the straw, and sings when she is done (or sometimes before). Her bones are still spaced properly for egg laying and she seems to be keeping on a great schedule (she fakes us out about an hour later each day). She also still squats when we reach for her.
    What could be the problem?
    All of my other pullets are doing just fine (except for one that never started laying).
    Any help?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  2. LedgeWoods

LedgeWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Midwest
    I'm no expert by any means...but had one pullet do the same thing to me last week. Took her 9 days to start laying again. She laid for 4 days straight now right on schedule. Full moon, planet alignment, seismic activity???? [​IMG]

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    If your pullet is a new layer, at first, they can be pretty sporatic (irregular) with their egglaying. I don't think I would worry about that. Now, could it be possible that something might be stealing your eggs? Say a snake? Or a rat? Or a neighbor? LOL You just never know.

4. dltc96

Aug 26, 2010
    Colorado
    Thanks for the comments.

She's 26 weeks, so still a pretty new layer I suppose. She began laying at 21 weeks which means it has only been 5 weeks. She was our first layer. (We are sure it was her because we were out there and saw her walking along, squat, drop the egg, and then get up and keep walking like nothing had happened. After that she laid two days on, two days off for about 3 weeks although the time of day and location was unpredictable. She has laid nothing since. The last week and a half she has been consistant with her attempts. About every 25 hours she hops in the box, arranges it to her liking, makes a lot of grunting and purring noises, and after about 20 minutes sticks her head out and sings a long egg song. She jumps out and goes straight for the food and water like the others do and then struts her stuff for a while. The problem is, there is no egg to show for her efforts. Nothing is stealing them though, I'm positive about that. We don't have any snakes and we don't have any rats (we are at too high of an altitude). We DO have neighbors (hmmmm...those scoundrels [​IMG]). My kids (and wife) are out there several times a day (read constantly [​IMG]) checking, and we have watched her do her entire routine multiple times. That's the part that throws me off. I wouldn't be as confused by it if she didn't act like she had laid one. We have four other pullets laying right now and we get all of their eggs. I would think that after all of this time her pelvic bones would be moving back together, but they are further apart than any of the others. I am sure that she is not laying later because the kids have seen almost every egg laid for the past week. Like I said, they spend a lot of time with the chickens! These are very tame chickens [​IMG].

I appreciate the suggestions. We will just keep an eye on her for a while longer. I just wanted to make sure that there was no illness that could cause a lack of egg production. We are still very new at this. Thanks for all your help.

5. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I have a few that are doing that as well...I am thinking that maybe it is the heat??

6. dltc96

Aug 26, 2010
    Colorado
    I guess it could be heat related. The 75-80 degrees we've had for the last little bit is balmy compared to when she started laying. It rained for practically two weeks solid right when she started (haying season) and I don't think it got much above 60. If that's the case, maybe she'll do REALLY well during the winter (-30 anyone?). Unfortunately the only substantial shade we have right now is inside the coop, and it can get pretty warm in there. I'll have to work on that this weekend. They are black as well, that probably contributes. It's supposed to rain again tomorrow, maybe we'll get another egg from her [​IMG].

I hope yours get their systems straightened out as well, it can be pretty frustrating can't it?![​IMG] How warm has it been there?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by