1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One of my quail is smaller than the rest.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by crazyquaillady4, Feb 25, 2017.

1. crazyquaillady4

crazyquaillady4 Just Hatched

Feb 21, 2017
    I got jumbo coturnix, 4 hatched on the 18th one on the 13th. One is noticeably smaller than the rest but is eating and just as active. Does this mean something is wrong or is it just small? [​IMG]

2. BBCHICKS123

BBCHICKS123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2016
    Wander land
    I would think that it's just its genetics

3. BBCHICKS123

BBCHICKS123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2016
    Wander land
    Has something happened to it that could have stund its growth or something could have happened in the egg

4. crazyquaillady4

Feb 21, 2017
    I got it from a local farmer and all of her birds looked incredibly healthy, I don't know if anything happened during hatching. What could have stund its growth? And of course it is the nice one that actually likes me lol

5. robdog

robdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Its genetics and I have hatches of 100 or 200 at a time theres always small guys that come out and are stunted and i never figure out why but ohh well.

6. crazyquaillady4

Feb 21, 2017
    Do they live and lay eggs still?

7. robdog

robdog Chillin' With My Peeps

no clue i always end up selling them before i raise them

8. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I have one unusually small one too. He hatched with the rest of them and is doing fine, he's just not growing as fast as the others. He's even getting feathers at the same rate as the rest, but he's just really small! I call him my runt baby!

9. crazyquaillady4

Feb 21, 2017
    [​IMG] it's a fairly large difference and its feathers are coming in all wonky.

10. crazyquaillady4

Feb 21, 2017
    Note I don't normally put them on top of things but it was the only way to get them still lol. And I filled their feeder right after this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by