One of my roo's protected me

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by GD91, Jan 21, 2014.

1. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    Today, I was cleaning out when my smaller nasty cockerel attacked me. My larger red colorful cockerel & favorite lovely boy then raced over & attacked him, grabbed him by the neck & pulled him screeching off the front of my leg & they both had at it with each other!
    I grabbed the barred roo & chucked it back into the coop & the thing sounded like it growled & hissed at me! [​IMG]

Now sitting on the sofa with my big boy on my knee, he's very happy wrapped in a furry throw purring & nuzzling [​IMG] he's going to be a night-time house chicken since we live in town & he's only allowed to crow at certain hours.

That smaller gray barred roo is so dead soon.We thought it was just a nasty pullet, but its growing into a mean tempered little ****.

2. raph

raph Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    How old are both of them?

3. ChickenCurt

ChickenCurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2014
    LOL...A friend to the end it sounds. ;)

4. averycatherwood

averycatherwood Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2013
    Concord, North Carolina
    I love it!! They really are truly amazing creatures. Who knows what goes on in their heads

5. GD91

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    About 5-6 months - old enough to know better [​IMG] never had a cockerel go for me like that before & I've had 5.

Its an ugly thing anyway, got a feathered crest, a wonky red crest & is a barred grey color. [​IMG]

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    He'll taste good even if he isn't the prettiest thing...

7. Pooman

Pooman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Thats awesome

8. GD91

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    DH has offered to do it this time.

It was a rooster in disguise, only realized the thing was a male last week. Thought it was just a bossy pullet since it kept having tiffs with our cockerel Alvin, then suddenly it sprouted jowls & a long tail....
    up until then it looked like a pullet, feathered in really fast as a chick etc. Just goes to show you can never be sure.

I would have forgiven it if it was nice tempered, but I can't rehome an aggressive cockerel, he'll have to be killed.

I've only got a small flock of 4 pullets & one cockerel, no room for another cockerel, even a good one. There's the noise to consider & the pullets coping with the matings.

Don't know why my nice cockerel stuck up for me like that, but he's always been a pussycat with people (when I've paid attention to him) & is quite a big boy anyway. Plus he's good with the pullets, he tried grabbing them & when they squawked he'd let them go. He doesn't chase them or is mean to them. Now he never grabs at them. None of the pullets are receptive yet & I think his hormones just peaked. Anyway he hasn't tried grabbing one for weeks now, so I'm not worried.

I do remember having a Pekin bantam cockerel who's idea of "revenge" was to toddle upto your feet & untie your shoelaces when he you had annoyed him.I'd tie them back up again & he'd do it again & just stare at me.Pekin bantam cockerels are pathetic at times [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by