One of my Salmon Favorelle's beak is WHACK

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MeggieB, Nov 13, 2016.

1. MeggieB

MeggieB Just Hatched

Jul 6, 2016
    [​IMG]They are 2 1/2 months old, seperated from my 5 1/2 month old chickens for now. About a month ago i noticed one's beak was misaligned and this chicken always looks unkempt and wet and is lookimg worse everyday. She makes a huge mess when she eats and drinks and obviously cant groom herself well or protect herself because of her beak! She isnt underweight it seems. What do I do here?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    1 person likes this.
  3. hooktontravel

hooktontravel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2016
    scissorbeak. I had a favz chick this spring who developed it around 2 weeks old. She lived a couple of months and we didn't do any crazy stomach-tubing or anything for her, just wet down the food to make it a little easier to eat. I read a TON on it then, both here and on other sites. Some people have great luck and just need to use wet food & special snacks to help them get the calories. Some will stomach tube a couple times a day to get enough in their crops to keep them alive. Most folks with larger flocks will cull right away when they discover scissorbeak in a chick.

It has to do, possibly, with different skull plates growing at different speeds. Sometimes it can result from an injury. It might be affected by how the chick was lying inside the egg (did it have the wing over its face or not).

It is more common in Faverolles, Easter Eggers, and one or two other breeds I can't remember offhand.

Good luck figuring out what you want to do with/for her. We really enjoyed our 'Runtly Sue' during the short time we had her. She was spunky and all the other chicks actually watched out for her & protected her, which was a surprise to me. She was the best at flying early because she grew wing feathers, but didn't have much body weight...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by