One of my Sebbies is limping

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Glenmar, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I don't know if they were being rough with each other, or if he sprained it jumping out of the kiddie pool.
    Should I do anything?? I have some liquid prednisone from another bird. I think it is 10mg/ml. Should I give him some of that for
    inflammation?? I checked the foot and webbing and could not find anything.

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    How long ago did it start? If its just the first day, and you don't see any obvious wound, I would wait and see before giving him any drugs. I have seen this happen occasionally, and fortunately its always gone away on its own with a couple days.

You could crate him for a few days to see if rest helps, but sometimes that just makes them more stressed, and it doesn't really let them relax like you'd hope.

3. Glenmar

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    He is still limping. I was giving it a few days to see if there would be a change. It is no worse, just not better. I left them in their stall one day too. Any ideas????

4. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Does it look like a hip injury, or a foot one?
    I'd bring him and soak his feet in some warm epsom salt water so you can get a really good look at them. Might be a splinter or puncture that wasn't noticeable before. Poor guy :(

5. Glenmar

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I think it is bumble foot. I am going to start him on antibiotics. [​IMG]

Suggestions appreciated.

thanks

6. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    We treated a couple ganders for bumblefoot using the suggestions from a thread by "Ruth" .It was really good. I did not have them on oral or IV antibiotics though- just treated the feet. After 2 extensive surgeries on each gander, they finally recovered.

Its not easy, or for those with a weak stomach. And I would highly recommend a helper.

Here is the thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/236649/bumblefoot-surgery-with-pics-and-how-to

BTW- after talking to the avian vet that our co-op recommended, I purchased some kind of special Iodine... If I can find it I will check back in with the info.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  7. Glenmar

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Now I am not sure. But he is much better. He likes having his foot soaked. Recently another goose started with the same thing. Soaking the feet in warm beta-dine water is helping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by