One of my silkies has something wrong with its leg

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Symboline, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Symboline

Symboline Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2011
    I noticed when I brought it home the leg was sticking out, didn't think much of it as I was so excited to get my babies... its little leg seems to be getting worse... What is wrong with it? This picture was taking the day I brought it home, will take another picture when I get home....
    Thanks, for any help!!
    Trish
    [​IMG]

2. silkymom1986

silkymom1986 The Silkie Villa

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    It's hard to tell from this picture....is she having problems walking and getting around like she's in pain?

3. Symboline

Oct 24, 2011
    She sure is, her leg sticks out sideways and she can not walk on her leg.. I so hope I can do something for her.....
    Quote:

4. Symboline

Oct 24, 2011
    [​IMG]

5. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Looks like it might be in the hip joint. If you do the band aid hobbles for a few days you might be able to correct it.

Turn chick over, place legs in normal position and use bandaid.. Google for splayed leg and you could read more about this condition.

I have had much success doing that with chicks and ducks also. Left hobble on for a couple three days and took off. If still needed put another on for few more days. Good Luck!!

6. Symboline

Oct 24, 2011
    Thanks so much for your help!! I would have never known to put a bandaid on the baby.. I am keeping my fingers crossed for this sweet little baby... It is a week old today...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by