1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One of my Speckled Sussex pullets is very chatty! Now with pics!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by insiderart, Sep 2, 2009.

1. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    Ever since these SS have been wee tiny chicks one of them has had this grating whistle like chirp. At first I thought something was wrong with her, but nope. She just likes to "talk", all the time. And I mean alllll of the time! And it's not a pretty "voice" she has either. It's kind of high pitched and desperate sounding. But she's not desperate, she's just very very yappy! [​IMG]

Today I was checking her out once again, and she was nattering away, when I guess the rooster got tired of it and made a real soft noise at her. Wow she shut up for a whole minute! [​IMG]

Hens, I love them.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  2. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    That really soft noise from the rooster I am imagening a mother counting to her child ONE DON'T MAKE ME SAY 2 Sounds cute. Do you have a picture of the Debi chicken [​IMG]

3. insiderart

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    I can get a pic tomorrow if it's not raining. She looks like the other SS pullets. So funny that incessant whistling.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have one SS hen, Nelda. She walks around making this high pitched worried sound....remember Olive Oyl when she'd say, "oooooohhhhh" in that whine? That's Nelda, my eating machine and resident whiner. And she is short and round with stubby legs.

5. insiderart

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

Hey, that's exactly what this girl does. [​IMG] So strange. There are 5 other pullets in there, and none of them make this sound. Too bad DD has already named them, I think Olive Oyl would be a perfect name for this girl! I may have to try to talk her into it.

I have to say that even though her incessant "whining" (a great term for it btw *smooche*) makes my nerves stand on end. (It's like hearing your newborn cry, you feel compelled to immediately check on them, because it sounds as if something is horribly wrong.) Even though I hear it all the time. I do love those SS, for the most part they are so friendly and calm.

6. insiderart

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    Ok here's my chatty girl. Very friendly too, always wants to see what I'm doing. Perhaps the "talking" is whining about being in the coop or the run?

[​IMG]

And here's Fudgie watching over everything.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by