one of my two babies was killed today...what do i do?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by heidihas2ducks, Jun 23, 2011.

1. heidihas2ducks

heidihas2ducks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I have (had) two ducks about 8 weeks old. They have been free range for at least a month...they waddle up from the pond befor dusk and put themselves to bed in their duck house made out of a craigs list special dog house! We have a metal grate welded into a door that secures them and keeps them safe and sound....well I had no idea a hawk was capable of killing my babies until I came home this afternoon to find Henry huddled under the weldingikr truck...I knew right away my little boy victor was dead. They are never apart. Now I don't know what to do. Poor Henry is beside herself. Shaking. Ate and drank a little then ran up her ramp into her house andd keeps talking like she is waiting for Victor duck to come home. I don't know what to do for her. Should we buy another duck? If so, how old, male or female, when? I am so heart broken and even sadder when I look at her. Please help me! I am so lost right now!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I am so sorry for your loss, 8 weeks seems awful young to be waddling around outside alone, Maybe I am too over protective. sounds like Henry really will need some TLC if she witnessed this. and yes get her another duck friend, male or female, depending on what you want, do you want ducklings then a male, if not another female. poor thing to see her buddy get killed. and believe me the hawk will be back for Henry. I would try to find one as close in age as she is. All the best. And until Henry is quite a bit larger and has company i wouldn't let her waddle around outside alone.

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    So sorry, I also agree with Miss Lydia. [​IMG]

4. heidihas2ducks

heidihas2ducks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    That's the thing..they are huge ducks...you would never look at them and think baby.they looked full grown. Have all of their feathers except flight feathers. I would make a guess that Henry is in the 3-5 lb range. We have a guard cat! Sounds crazy I know but he's a one year old bob tailed cat that soaks up the sun with the ducks by the pond and patrols they property...I can't imagine containing them

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:They may be big on the outside but immature on the inside. Can't you put them inside a fenced in area with a kiddie pool till older, how is Henry today? I will say if she is wandering around outside by herself she probably won't last long, they do better in groups. I have 8 adult ducks that free range and very seldom do i see one off by itself. Safety in numbers. My baby duckling is 3 weeks today and I won't even let her run around outside with the adults, she is just too young. Thats great that you have a guard cat, but I don't think a large hawk would be dettered by it, as you saw yesterday. sorry again for the loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by