One of my two EEs has started to lay, will the other start soon?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nowandahen, Mar 5, 2013.

1. nowandahen

nowandahen New Egg

Aug 22, 2012
    Amherst,NY
    My flock consists of two EEs, two silver laced wyandottes, and two barred rocks. The smaller of the two EEs (and the smallest of the flock) laid her first egg in the run yesterday and then again today in the same place at the same time. The pullets are 21 weeks old. Should I expect the other EE to lay soon? Given their smaller size, I had expected the EEs to be the last to lay. True to form, however, the eggs are an incredible "sea-foam" green. Yesterday egg was small. Today's was ever so slightly bigger. Both eggs were absolutely perfect and my daughter was over-the-top excited. We can't wait for more!!

2. nowandahen

nowandahen New Egg

Aug 22, 2012
    Amherst,NY
    [​IMG]
    The white EE is the first to lay.

3. nowandahen

nowandahen New Egg

Aug 22, 2012
    Amherst,NY
    [​IMG]
    Day 1, Day 2, and commercial egg

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Can't really see how well developed the rest of the flock is from the picture. It might be anyone to lay next. Although the one wyandotte looks closest.

5. bcmama

bcmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2012
    My Coop
    We have two EE's , two BR's and two Silkies. Our BR's were the first to lay at about 22 weeks, the silkies were next at around 30 weeks and our EE's were last with our white EE being the holdout at 34.5 weeks. They lay when they lay but I know how hard it is to wait because I could hardly stand it. :)

The one thing I noticed with our chickens was that the first to lay our BR's had to grow into their eggs maybe due to their age. They layed smallish eggs that progressively got bigger and are not quite large while the older the pullet was when they started, my EE's, layed larger eggs from the beginning. I don't know if that is true for everyone but that is what I noticed with my flock. The EE's have layed large eggs from the beginning, maybe because they were more mature?

Good luck!!

6. nowandahen

nowandahen New Egg

Aug 22, 2012
    Amherst,NY
    Two days later and no more eggs? We got really excited about the first two eggs but now its stopped. So, we decided to at least crack those two and enjoy a sampling of what's to come. We cracked the two into a bowl next to a commercial egg. At first glance, there was no difference. But the whites on our eggs were not runny and all of the egg "innards" were intact and perfect. Then I broke open the two yolks from our eggs. Holy smokes what a difference! Beautiful deep orange. Lightly scrambled and cooked on the soft side. I'm dying for more. My life is infinitely better today than it was yesterday. Is that crazy?

7. peep-a-boo

peep-a-boo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2010
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Similar thing is happening to us too. We have a faverolle, a SLW, and 2 silkies. The faverolle laid for the first time at 25wks, which was 4 days ago. She laid again on the second day, but hasn't since. None of the others have started laying. Should I be worried?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by