One of my young roos CROWED!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Emilys3guppies, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Emilys3guppies

Emilys3guppies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    Toronto
    LOL! It was HILARIOUS! It scared the living bejeebus out of the other birds, who all jumped out of his way.

So, I have two boys in my baby pen with a single young hen. They are 5 weeks old now...at what point will I need to seperate them?

2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    probably good for a few more weeks!

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:WHEN THE FEATHERS START TO FLY! OR MORE LIKELY START TO DISAPPEAR ON 1'S HEAD IN A RAPID FASHION.... LOL

4. lagpmgdsls

lagpmgdsls Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    I would seperate now. My very first hatch resulted in the same ratio and at about 5 weeks , the 2 roosters fought and one ended up dead.

5. Emilys3guppies

Emilys3guppies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    Toronto
    Quote:WHEN THE FEATHERS START TO FLY! OR MORE LIKELY START TO DISAPPEAR ON 1'S HEAD IN A RAPID FASHION.... LOL

You're so helpful!! [​IMG] You remind me of my brother, who is away from Canada and in England right now. Thanks for the quirky sense of humour that I miss.

Well, they're both crowing up a storm now! My cage of hens has started 'singing' now too after two months of eery silence...I'm assuming they're excited at the prospect of a mate? LOL. They sound like a combo of quiet frogs and crickets.

At the advice of the above posters I have decided to seperate the males before it's too late. No need for casualties when I have the facilities. [​IMG]

6. Plain_View_Farm

Plain_View_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Central Virginia
    I think the first time they crow they scare themselves as much as it does the other birds. I know I was like "What was THAT??" LoL

David

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by