One of our Cayuga can't open her wings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by arnaudgf, Jul 25, 2013.

1. arnaudgf

arnaudgf Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2013
    Hello,

We have 2 Cayuga hens (as well as 2 Khaki Campbells hens, 1 Rouen hen and a Rouen drake).

We clipped our girls (and boy) wings last week and noticed that the wings of one of the Cayuga won't open. Thinking back we realized that we didn't see her flap her wings like the other did.

I tried to google the issue, but all the information I found was about angel wings and it doesn't seem like that's her issue.

She always was the smallest duckling of the group.

Does anyone has any idea what is going on?

She doesn't seem like she's in pain and her behavior is not different than the other (she loves to swim like her fellow Cayuga). But we want to make sure she's ok.

Thanks a lot

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Mountains of Western N.C.
    Welcome to BYC can you post a pic? when you clipped you didn't see blood? if not then I'd say she is probably okay just not liking the feeling of off balance, when mine get one wing clipped each fall when they try to run with wings flapping they even run a little off balanced. But a pic may help.

3. arnaudgf

Jul 25, 2013
    I will try to get a picture, even though there isn't much to see.

We did not clip her wings since we couldn't really open them. We didn't want to force it open and hurt her, and we figured that if she couldn't open her wings, we didn't have to worry about her flying away

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Okay I see I thought you meant after you clipped her wings. so you haven't tried to pen them to examine them, maybe some kind of birth defect. not sure but I think I'd try to very gently open them so you can at least take a closer look.

5. arnaudgf

Jul 25, 2013
    I still haven't been able to get a picture, but I've seen her flap her wings a few times this week end so I believe her wings are OK, she's maybe just a bit slower to grow :)

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Sounds good, and hopefully that is all it was.. Thanks for getting back about her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by