one of our dogs got snakebit (warning graphic pictures) update p2

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by featherfooted, Oct 30, 2009.

1. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    Last night my son's dog, Snoopy, got bit by a 2' copperhead. We didn't know that he was even around it. Our Carin terrier, Herbie, found the snake and was barking at it. We got him away from it and killed it. Poor Snoopy looks like he has a BAD case of the muimps. It got him on the side of the neck. Our vet said that if he was going to get bitten by a poisonous snake copperheads are the least toxic. He spend the day at the vet's getting fluids, pain killers and antibiotics. He looks so pitiful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  2. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    What did the vet say his prognosis is? Hope he'll be ok! Give poor Snoopy a [​IMG] for me...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Awwwwwwwwwww, poor thing!!!!!

4. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Oh poor thang!! He does look pitiful!! I hope he get's better soon.

Where are you in Georgia? I have killed 2 copperheads in the last 2 weeks....1 under my lawn mower tire and 1 in the chicken coop. The one in the chicken coop was about 3ft long and scared the poop out of me because I had been all in that coop raking, all around it and didn't see him stretched out on the pallet.....my dh was standing on the pool deck and ask me "what is that on that pallet", sure enough when I looked that is what it was. Needless to say I had a guardian angel that day because I could have been bitten more than once.

5. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    My dog got bit by a rattler on the nose... his head swelled up to 3X it's size.... no antivenom though, just an overnight stay at the vet with fluids and he was fine the next day. Must be so uncomfortable to be all swelled up like that. Hope Snoopy is feeling better soon!

Nancy

6. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    Poor Guy! Dad-gummed snake! [​IMG]

7. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Poor thing! [​IMG] I am glad he is home from the vet now. Hope he gets back to normal quickly!

8. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    They said he would be fine. That the swelling with move into his chest and he will look like he has boobs as it goes away.[​IMG] We have pain killers and antibiotics to give him. My son's at school at Georgia Tech so we didn't tell him until we were sure he would be ok. We live in middle Georgia. This is the 4th copperhead we've seen here since we moved here.

9. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Poor Snoopy!!! [​IMG]

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Earlier this year a two foot or so copperhead got my 70 lb. hound right next to his nose. We couldn't find a bite that night, so assuming it was a bee sting, we got a Benadryl down him. The next day the bite showed up, went to the vet asap and he said just watch for infection. It's been 5 months or so, and he is A-OK now. We did get the snake- I vac-packed it and froze it fror the vet, but he couldn't save the snake, lol.

Poor Snoopy deserves a bunch of treats and TLC. Hang on Snoopy, Snoopy hang on! Da da da, da da, da da da, da da dah! (sorry the old song just popped in!)

And the Cairn gets treats too, aren't they great dogs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by