One of our ducks is looking rough, acting a bit odd

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by billw, Apr 14, 2012.

1. billw

billw Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    WA Coast
    Something is not right, but I'm not sure what to make of it. We have nine ducks and two drakes. One of the ducks is avoiding the other ducks, acting a bit listless, and looks shabby. Her head and neck are dirty. So, nothing dramatic, but I'm wondering if I am missing something. They are mating, but not frequently as far as we can tell.

Is there anything I should be looking for?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Do you know if she has been laying? if you can pick her up you might want to separate her for a while to keep an eye on her. maybe let her swim in a tub of warm water to clean up, and if she is having trouble laying an egg sometimes this helps. or could she have eaten something toxic? something while out foraging?

3. billw

billw Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    WA Coast
    I am never up and about when the ducks lay, so I don't know for certain if she has been laying, but I suspect so.

It is possible that she ate something, but they only forage in the garden, so I'm not sure what it could have been. I fed them a bunch of overwintered cabbage a couple days ago, but that hasn't seemed to cause any distress before.

She is doing a pretty good job of separating herself from the other ducks, but I might move her into a dog crate with her own food and water.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Could be she is a "favorite" of one or both drakes, and getting too much attention.

I would separate her, give her a warm bath, some treats, and a break.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    After a few days of R&R and observation please let us know how is doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by