One of our ducks just isn't the same!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NikoTheImpaler, Mar 15, 2012.

1. NikoTheImpaler

NikoTheImpaler New Egg

Mar 15, 2012
    For the past few days, my duck FoiGras, just hasn't been the same. She doesn't come to greet me, she doesn't quack when she hears my voice (in fact she hardly quacks now), and she seems to want to be alone and sitting a lot. She seems to sometimes have a problem walking - then there are times she walks fine. Then last night when I went outside to close up she wasn't in her home but out in the ivy laying flat on her stomach with her feet stretched out behind her! It didn't seem like she could get up. I picked her up and brought her to her food and water but she just laid there. So I picked her up brought her head to her food and water then she started eating and drinking... But I had to hold her there. Then I carried her to her house and put her in but she was still laying flat with her feet behind her. I looked up stuff on the internet- thought it could be botulism - and said I would take her in this morning.
    But when I went to let them out this morning she came waddling out with the other one! And she had a egg sticking out of her vent! Was she just egg bound?! Of the two ducks, which started laying the same time, we've only been getting one egg for the last few days.
    I pulled the egg out gently... But she is still acting different.
    Any advice is much appreciated.
    Thank you!

Niko

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sounds like oviduct problems. Sometimes a stuck egg can press against a nerve.

Giving her daily extended (half hour to an hour) time in a lukewarm bath, deep enough to float in, will help. Sometimes, not always, a lack of calcium is thought to contribute to the problem. Ducks, in my limited experience, process their nutrients differently, so some just need more calcium or vitamins, or greens, or ......

See if you can tweak her diet.

Is she on layer feed? Getting extra supplements? Getting too much attention from drakes?

3. NikoTheImpaler

NikoTheImpaler New Egg

Mar 15, 2012
    Hi Amiga,
    Thank you for your input.
    We only have two ducks (1st time duck owners) - both females. They eat
    organic layer crumble and what ever foliage they find on the property.
    Our garden greens are coming in so I'll give them those! Will definitely try the warm bath.

As far as other supplements I will look into those.
    Again thank you

Niko

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Do they have free choice oyster shell also? That might help. I have had some challenging egg problems (not everyone - just a few of the ducks) and some ducks respond well to having the oyster shell. Some, however, don't. So we press on. Everyone seems fine, just a few missing eggshells more often than I'd like to see.

I have started rolling peas in the oyster shell. Whatever it takes. [​IMG]

5. NikoTheImpaler

NikoTheImpaler New Egg

Mar 15, 2012
    I never thought to give them oyster shell. :( Our chickens have it in their coop but it's out of the ducks' reach because they were also eating the seed scratch.
    I gave them some as soon as I read your post. I also put apple cider vinegar in their drinking water and mixed diatomaceous earth into their feed- which also gets rid of worms!
    thanks!

Niko

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by