One of our girls is missing!

FamilyOfChickens

Songster
12 Years
Mar 24, 2007
Northwest Indiana
hit.gif

I went out about a half-hour ago to put the gold sex links in their coop like normal. I started calling them, and four of the five come running. I get them in the coop, and go back to calling the last one. I walk a little ways into the woods, down front, and even check on the road. No chicken. I keep walking around, calling and calling. No chicken!

The darn bird has me feeling awful.
he.gif
Occasionly two or three of the hens don't come, but never just one. The other four are just fine. I can't help but picture her being carried off in the claws of a nasty old hawk, but we've never had problems with them before. And these are some tough gals. I'm going to go out in about 15 minutes and check again, but she's got me worried sick!!!

And to top it all off, a thunderstorm is nearly upon us. Can birds catch colds or pnemounia from getting wet?
sad.png

Last edited:
Still no chicken. I don't think she'll show up, either.
hit.gif
My mom said she saw a big, fat orange cat out front chasing a rabbit that could easily have taken a chicken. It was either that or a hawk. I can't quite shake the hope that maybe the next time I go out, she'll be there. But I doubt it.

sad.png
We sure will miss her.

could she be nesting in the woods somewere,cause one of my chickens went missing for a wekk and i just found her yesterday,walking around so i think she is setting on eggs

Don't give up hope yet. Sometimes they're hiding in bushes and stuff. If you don't see a mess of feathers, maybe the cat didn't get her. She could just be hiding from the cat. And my chickens run in and out of the rain, so she'll probably be OK.
Let us know if she turns up!
smile.png

Hope she's ok I had 5 one time didn't come back at the end of the day. Didn't see them the next morning either but around 5 that evening here they come and went right in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom