One of our goslings got hen pecked! How to treat the wound?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by paxicotrader, Apr 20, 2009.

1. paxicotrader

paxicotrader Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    We have a brooder box with a few ducklings and goslings in it. The brooder box also happens to be in our chicken coop where we keep our 25 chickens.

I came in this morning and a hen had flown into the brooder box. One of the goslings looked like it had been pecked quite a bit on the back of its head. The area looked a little "wet" and matted with some missing fuzz/feathers. It was not red or bleeding, though.

I've not observed the goslings and ducks pecking each other at all, so I'm pretty sure it was the hen.

Can I wash the area with peroxide? And then what do I put on it (if anything)? All I have on hand at home is anti-bacterial wound ointment (generic Neosporin).

Thanks.

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    As long as there are no Pain Killers in the Neo.. It should work great... I would'nt worry about them pecking again if it's not red... Cn you cover your brooder to keep the big girls out... I would hate to see them get all riled up and somebody get bad hurt... With my girls one gets excited hey all get excited... MOB mentality

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by