One of our hens just hatched her first baby chick! What do we do?

jmlewis18

Hatching
7 Years
May 6, 2012
Just hatched our first chick. One of our Hens has done it all by herself. She has many more eggs under her. Do we leave the chick with her and the rest of the eggs? We are first timers. FYI, In the coop with her are 4 other hens and a rooster.

Just hatched our first chick. One of our Hens has done it all by herself. She has many more eggs under her. Do we leave the chick with her and the rest of the eggs? We are first timers. FYI, In the coop with her are 4 other hens and a rooster.
Just leave them alone the chicken will take care of them. You just need to get some starter feed for them and make sure they have water,She will protect them from the other hens if need be. I assume that she has been with the others all along so there should little if any squabbling.

We have a coachin (if she weigh's a pound I'd be surprised) hatch a chick last year and the big white rooster overpowered her and killed the chick. I don't know if this is normal or not, but I would separate her and her chicks from the rooster. The hens probly won't bother too much.

MaTanner1

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom