one of our Khachi Campbells died

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nurse2day, Jun 11, 2016.

1. nurse2day

nurse2day New Egg

Mar 10, 2016
    I am looking for information. We bought 4 baby Khachi Campbells in April. They have doing very well. Yesterday we started them on some brewers yeast in their food and also for a special treat bought some tiny minnows for them to fish for in their pond. Today we found one of our Drakes dead in the pond. Did we do something wrong? What could have happened. The other drake and females are still doing fine. After finding Superman dead we changed out the water in the pond and added some apple cider vinegar to the water. They were all raised with apple cider vinegar in their water, so thought it might benefit them now. Does anyone have any suggestions or information on what we did or can now do to prevent this from happening again? He was perfectly healthy yesterday. We are so sad, our ducks and chickens are like our babies. Thanks in advance.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If they were left alone in the pond, any number of things could have happened.

Are they fully feathered?

Is it easy to get in and out of the pond?

Are there birds of prey in the area?

Did you check to feel if there was anything stuck in his throat?

Sorry for your loss.

3. nurse2day

nurse2day New Egg

Mar 10, 2016
    Are they fully feathered?..... yes

Is it easy to get in and out of the pond? yes definitely or i wouldn't have the pond in there

Are there birds of prey in the area? We have a fully enclosed run that they occupy as well as its predator proof

Did you check to feel if there was anything stuck in his throat? I was pretty broken up when i found my boy so i wasnt methodically checking every little thing . I can tell you he had NO injuries anywhere on his body . as I previously stated the only thing different was the fish and the brewers yeast. I just would like someone to be able to tell me what else i should be looking for so my other 3 babies don't succumb to the same fate. :(

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Sorry you lost your Ducky....

Lets take a few steps back okay.....?
    Alright...I know Ducks very well.
    Why are you adding these things to their diet?
    First off Ducks need to forage on grass, bugs and grains.
    Your Ducklings are the age too be out of the danger zone...
    What do you feed them and how much actual forage do they get?

5. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I highly doubt the Brewers yeast or fish had anything to do with it. I'm going to assume they have access to grit and were able to break down the fish since the other three are okay.

Is it possible he ate something toxic? There is a decease called Botulism. It happens when a duck eats rotten meat or plants. There are other causes too. It can take effect pretty quickly and the duck losses control of muscles. If it happens in the water the duck can drown. I've read that Botulism is thought to be one of the leading causes in unexpected deaths.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I don't think it could be the brewer's yeast. It could be possible the fish carried a pathogen, though thatbdoes not seem likely. Sometimes ducks can get hypothermia if their feathers are not well oiled. Sometimes they have congenital problems that do not show up until they hit maturity.

7. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Count me in camp "brewers yeast and fish are just a red herring!"

The likely hood of the fish carrying something that could act so quickly to kill a duckling, but not the rest of the fish seems unlikely unless we're talking botulism (Which wouldn't have been from the live fish.)

I do believe there is something else at play, and I hope you find it!

Out of curiosity, what is ACV supposed to do?

8. beccaWA

beccaWA Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Eastern WA
    Maybe the brewer's yeast had some mold in it. Birds are extremely sensitive to mold. Other than that, who knows. He might have choked on something, but since he was in the water, that seems unlikely. Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by