One of our turkeys died last night

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by CricketYang, Dec 6, 2010.

1. CricketYang

CricketYang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Mason, MI
    Is it still OK to eat?? I live in the midwest so the temps here are definitely below freezing. Its a broadbreasted white and it died somewhere between 9pm-3pm, when I got out there it was still flexible. I've spent a lot of time/money on these birds and I'd hate to let this giant go to waste, it's about 22 weeks old.

2. SED

SED Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    North West Alabama
    I would say that if the temps are below freezing and he was still flexible when you found him he would be okay to eat.

3. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    My rule is, if I don't kill it, I don't eat it. Likely not what you wanted to hear, since i would guess you have a fair amount of feed invested in it, but personlly, I wouldn't take the chance.

4. shaft0463

shaft0463 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    I don't eat anything I didn't kill either. You don't know why it died, and it might have been sick. Not worth the risk IMO.

5. celticfarmer

celticfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Northern MN
    Quote:You're definetly going to want to know what killed it. I know that if something died from drinking anti-freeze I wouldn't want to eat it. On the other hand if a truck hit it............ Well that's another story.

6. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Quote:I agree, as a rule unless I kill it or have it killed I don't eat it.

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    If it had run into a wall and broke it's neck I'd say sure. Dying from reasons unknown definitely not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by