1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One of our two pet hens died, how to introduce a new friend?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by katharine, Mar 9, 2015.

1. katharine

katharine Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2007
    We had two pet hens. One just died. I want to get a friend for the one we have. I am afraid she will be lonely. I am not sure I want to introduce a baby. How do you think it would go to introduce an older hen? I was thinking of looking on Craigslist or the hatchery where we git them to see if someone is giving away a hen.

Thoughts?

p.s I think this hen was submissive to the other hen however she does chase and peck kids

2. crumptz

crumptz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2012
    Mountain View, CA
    I have introduced new chicks to older hens and I've been successful... but it took time.
    I got my chick and when it was old enough to be out of the brooder, I built a small area out of pvc covered with chicken wire and put it next to my other hens run. That way they saw each other every day but couldn't hurt each other. After a few days the older hen stopped paying so much attention to the younger one so i started letting both out in the yard together (I hung around to watch). The older one was curious about the young one but really just wanted to forage for herself... After about a week of that, I finally put new chick in with older hen AT NIGHT after they were all roosting. They all woke up together and seemed to be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by