One of Six chicks always sitting off balance?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mlinkwra311, Jun 15, 2016.

1. mlinkwra311

mlinkwra311 New Egg

Jun 15, 2016
    I am brand new to this...I took a short video of one of my baby chickens because it seems to be always laying down and off balance. I physically inspected the chick and it does not seem to have any injuries. The chick is capable of running and feeding (even feeds sitting down) when it wants too. Check out the video and let me know if I should be worried.[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    After just looking at your video, she looks like something might be wrong with her left leg, and she sits back on her hocks. She could have a vitamin deficiency or possibly a slipped tendon. There are other leg bone deformities and conditions, but I would place some poultry vitamins in their water. It needs to contain riboflavin (vitamin B2.) Then I would continue to watch her to see if she sticks one leg out to the side or backward. Look for any swelling in her leg joints. Let us know how she does.

3. mlinkwra311

mlinkwra311 New Egg

Jun 15, 2016
    Thank you so much for your quick reply. I was able to get to a local feed store last night and got some vitamins with B2 like you recommended. I will update as time moves forward.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by