One of six chicks has an issue...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 1dog1cat6chicks, Mar 9, 2014.

1. 1dog1cat6chicks

1dog1cat6chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2014
    Last Saturday (8 days ago) we got six red pullets from TSC. All was going well until about four days ago...my daughter noticed one of the chicks (Pearl) had a very swollen crop. After doing a little research [these are our first-ever chicks], we narrowed it down to a crop issues, either sour crop or an impacted crop. We are leaning toward sour, since it's not hard.

The swelling has not gone down over night at all. The chick continues to eat (which may be bad??), and otherwise acts like the other chicks.

Yesterday we--by this I mean my husband [​IMG]--held the chick and massaged the crop for a long time, and also held her upside down while massaging it, trying to get her to vomit up what was in there. That didn't work.

This morning, my daughter said the chick 'threw up' a little when she picked her up; she also tried massage but to no avail.

Is there anything else we can try?? We hate to lose this chick, especially if there's some way we can help her.

2. Araucana16

Araucana16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Denver, CO
    I would suggest putting this in the Illness/Diseases/Emergencies forum, with the title "Sour Crop." I think then maybe you'll get someone experienced who can really help.

I'm afraid I'm not of much assistance.

3. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    A very swollen crop can be normal, even though it looks kinda nasty. What makes you think it is impacted? Has the chick pooped at all?

4. 1dog1cat6chicks

1dog1cat6chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2014
    Yes, the chick has pooped.

Araucana, thanks for the tip, I just posted this in the other section.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  5. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    That is good, it means food is moving through.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by