One of the chickens went to the pot and I'm having a hard time....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickyLoo, Jun 23, 2011.

1. ChickyLoo

ChickyLoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    New Hampshire
    So we had a problem chicken she's about 2yrs old and we inherited the flock of 11 with a roo who's in my avatar. We've had them for about 8 months and unfortunately I allowed myself to get attached [​IMG] She kept escaping and just being disruptive to the rest of the flock. I tried separating her then she would hang around the edge of the run still wanting to be with her flock. She was stressing me out, getting into the garden and wandering around trying to catch her to put her back in etc. etc.....The other day she was just panicked about wanting to get out and she looked so miserable that I finally said to my Mom she's gonna have to go, she's just not happy anymore. So, off to the pot she went and now I can't shake the guilt [​IMG] The worst part is I made chicken salad and I can't even eat it hubby says it's the best chicken salad he's ever tasted too [​IMG]: so that's the good news....We have more layers coming in a couple wks and I've set aside a broody who's doing a wonderful job so far 11 days [​IMG]: Maybe the chicken math is off and I just need more chickens!!

I just had to vent a little...can anyone else relate???? I guess I just need some encouragement that I'm not insane [​IMG]:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Oh man, that's tough. It's always hard to try and do the right thing. I'm sure you're not the first one to feel this way. [​IMG]

3. ChickyLoo

Jun 11, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Awww thanks for the support.

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    No problem. I recently found my daughter's rabbit dead in his cage. I gave myself a huge guilt trip on that one. I'm sure I missed something. He seemed to be acting normal, but that doesn't stop you from beating yourself up.

5. ChickyLoo

Jun 11, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Our rabbit recently got heat stroke & wound is still fresh on that one too [​IMG] prolly why this is beating me up too

6. confusedturtle

confusedturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    [​IMG] Im sorry. You were doing what you thought needed to be done for the welfare of your flock. Im sure that you did the right thing, even though it is hard for you to see that right now. Look at it this way, you gave her a wonderful home and so much more than she would have had if she would have been a hen in a egg farm setting. You gave her many chances to change her ways and when it she did not cooperate something had to be done. You did the right thing [​IMG]
    Im also sorry about your daughter rabbit. They are very easily scared and prone to many things. We had bunnies that were great one day and gone the next. It is heart breaking to lose any pet, but Im sure it was not your fault [​IMG] again

7. ChickyLoo

Jun 11, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Thank you yes I did try many different things for her [​IMG] but she was just not happy and unfortunately she was being picked on a lot probably because she was out roaming around and it was almost like she had to be reintroduced every time she left. We also lost another chicken the same week as our rabbit due to an injury that we couldn't fix for her. Her name was chickyloo just like my avie name [​IMG] & we almost lost our rooster a week later but luckily we were able to save him...It's too much with these animals sometimes :*(

8. confusedturtle

confusedturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    [​IMG] it goes with any animals we bring into our homes. Every one of my pets is a member of my family, and losing one is devastating. My Beagle almost died this past weekend but when I noticed him giving me that help me look and he seemed very off we took him in. I honestly thought I was taking him in to be put down he was in such bad shape, but they said we made it just in time. He had a 50/50 shot at survival in the hospital, which we couldnt afford. They thought he would die when I took him home but he is doing better now. If we didnt do everything we needed to do to make sure that our pets were safe, loved, comfortable and accepted into our lives and do our best to fight for them when we knew something was wrong, then it wouldn't hurt. You did all of those things and your flock is better for it. Im sorry that your family has had so many loses lately, but Iam sure that everything will be looking up soon and you will all be stronger for having had them around. [​IMG]

9. ChickyLoo

Jun 11, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I hope your beagle continues to get better!!!!! We have a dog that's 10yrs old and I shudder to think when it's time for her to go..so true about everything you've said. The think about chickens though is I expected them to be food you know? It's really hard to not get attached to them and keep a realistic perspective about their purpose as well. I know I will have some favorites that absolutely will not become food. Our rabbits were supposed to be breeders/food but when he died I told my DH there was no WAY he was going on the table. I was trying to be practical with this hen & not let the meat go to waste [​IMG] Plus my DH doesn't have any problem distinguishing food from pets. I guess I'm not as strong as I thought even though this forum has helped me tremendously to be more practical about it. I've learned that having a peaceful flock is very important & I hate to say it but it has been much more peaceful since she's gone. The bickering & pecking has stopped I don't know why they kept picking on her so much [​IMG] they've all grown up together I just don't understand..

just read this from another poster and it helps keep things in perspective

However adoption may seem like the more human way, but they are likely to end up as dinner on someone elses table. Be thankfull that they have had a good life with you, probably a much better life than any of the chicken in the grocerie stores. And culling them in your own back yard is better for them than taking a stressful car ride and then being culled in a strange place by people who do not care about them. I watched you-tube videos on culling a rooster to de-sensitize myself. It really helped. They are just chickens.... I know it is hard, but it can be educational. I was against culling my own birds, but my DH was right, this all part of maintaining a happy and healthy flock. Hope everything turns out ok for you:/​

10. mommas chickens

mommas chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Spring Creek, NV
    Im sorry it's a tough decision to make I know just this past weekend we culled out or rooster and one of my barred rock hens that was given to me she was the same way she always ran off when I let them free range always getting up on my fence and not wanting to get down and when she had to be locked up she would pick on the others and cluck and complain loudly all day her sister is happy as a clam here with us she just didnt ever adjust but she had a good home here with us while it lasted and my dad told me such is the life of a chicken. I still get a few twinges of guilt but at the end of the day my flock is happy more peaceful and we need that cause we have 3 easter egger chicks coming soon. I think that will help me deal with the guilt! Hope you start feeling better soon!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by