One of the hens died and now the other aren't laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by appymikel, Mar 2, 2015.

1. appymikel

appymikel New Egg

Nov 10, 2014
    We have a 1 rooster, 3 Anconas and 2 Amerecaunas. A few weeks ago, our dog went after one of the Anconas. Even though only one was injured, ALL of the Anconas stopped laying that day. Is it just a coincidence? I know they aren't laying because the 2 breeds lay different colored eggs. That Ancona ended up dying and they are still not laying. Our vet (who is a bird fanatic) says they may be broody...but I thought being broody meant they were sitting on eggs and not moving.... I'm super confused. And wondering when in the world the Anconas will start laying again!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  2. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! Hens will stop laying for many reasons; molting, lower light levels, and stress are all possible here. Being attacked by a do is a huge near-death experience, and certainly could stop them laying eggs. All you can do is make sure that there aren't any other issues affecting them, and wait it out. They won't want your dog around, for sure. Separation is the key there. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by